Artistic Ventures: Creativity Bling!

Creativity Bling from the Creativity JunkieI’ve (finally) decided to participate in NaNoWriMo. This comes after years of thinking about it but not acting. For anyone who doesn’t know, NaNoWriMo is “National Novel Writing Month,” and participants sign up to write 50,000 words in the month of November. To me, the word count is less intimidating than the idea of trying to be “on” with my creativity every day. I usually make every excuse as to why I can’t participate – I’m too busy, it’s not a good time of year, I’m working on another project, etc., etc., etc. This year it dawned on me.  I will always have a full arsenal of excuses waiting at the ready for me to explain why I can’t do NaNo (or get as much writing done as I want to on a regular basis). And because I’ll always have an excuse, why not chose to do it anyway? So I am. (If you’re participating, here’s a link to my page.)

But despite feeling proud about taking the plunge, I wanted to do something extra exciting to get me in the mindset of being creative with my writing every day next month (can you tell I’m a little freaked at the idea?!). That’s when I remembered Sculpey.  When I was a kid, my younger sister, Alison, was VERY into Sculpey, a brand of polymer clay. She made the standard beads and funky figurines, and I’m forever grateful that she brought me into her world of colored clay. The memories are so real for me that when I think of the word “Sculpey,” I can actually smell it baking in our oven – probably not the yummiest of smells, granted, but there it is, warm and vivid and distinctly polymer. These memories are full of fun and laughter, and not getting stuck on what the finished product turned out to be. Instead, we were focused on the joy of creating, the process, and we crafted judgment free. Those Sculpey sessions were times of pure creative happiness.

I wanted to bring that feeling of creative freedom back over and over again in the month of November, so I pulled out my Sculpey collection and crafted these creativity amulets to wear throughout the month.  They are made from Premo! Sculpey, which I blended and conditioned, stamped with patterns, painted with acyrlics, baked (I now follow the guidelines we so blissfully ignored in our teens), then embellished with beads.  I stamped the word “Create” on one and “Write” on the other to remind me that I am capable of doing both each and every day (NaNoWriMo or not).  These are fun and easy to make (and would make great gifts!). If you like to play with clay (or think you might) I suggest giving them a try!

What do you do to remind yourself to create freely, without fear of the finished product? I’d love to hear from you and collect ideas for the future projects!

Advertisements

8 Comments Add yours

1. vhosking says:

I’ve participated in napowrimo in April for the past 5 years. I can tell you I totally decompress in May. My youngest was born in April. She has had several birthday poems written. My oldest, born in May has lost out. Maybe some year I’ll be able to keep the creativity going in May instead of burning out.

1. Kat says:

Thanks for sharing!
      I was worried about the month following the writing month! I’m hoping that I can stay creative in December, but I know it is always a “lost month” for me because of the holidays, final exams (I’m in grad school), the kids’ vacation, having the hubby home… There I go with the excuses again! I need to re-focus this year, especially given November as NaNoWriMo and keep creativity mind throughout the following month!

2. Ooh, I want one! 😉 I love the idea of having a charm of some sort to serve as a reminder (and hopefully give some serious luck!) of why we’re doing NaNoWriMo. This will also be my first year. We should keep up with each other during the process!

Liked by 1 person

1. Kat says:

Definitely! I need the accountability! 😉

3. A wonderful way to get the creative juices flowing! Very nice, Kat. I use my guitar to get myself in the creative zone. Speaking of which…time to go tune her up and get some acoustic therapy. Great post.

1. Kat says:

Love that! Music is an excellent outlet! I’m not a great player, but I sometimes sit at the piano. I hadn’t thought of it in terms of way to boost the creative juice flow in my writing and art – but now I will! Thanks!

Liked by 1 person

4. S.K. Lamont says:

I love sculpey too! I used to spend a lot more time claying around, I caught the bug after my kids asked me to help them out, I was like, wow this stuff’s pretty neat! Up until then I had mostly enjoyed regular clay, handbuilding and wheel work, but my writing has taken center stage now, that and trying to keep up with all these kids 😉 Thanks for sharing your lovely work Kat!

1. Kat says:

It is fun! But there is only so much time… I would love to clone myself and have one of me for writing and one for art. And one for the kids! 🙂

Liked by 1 person